Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Social Reading (Bibliocommons VS Goodreads)

As soon as our library system introduced Bibliocommons in 2011, I created an account; I got excited at the thought of creating lists, keeping better tabs on my holds & checkouts, and simply working with a more interactive, user-friendly interface. I'll admit that the novelty wore off *fairly* quickly on a personal front, but I still enjoy creating and sharing lists along with several other colleagues via Moncton Public Library's account. Any lists that catch your eye? Guess which ones are my favourite (hint: OM NOM).

These days, I'm much more apt to check in on my Goodreads account; I have more people to interact with, and I prefer the interface and usability. I stumble upon some great treasures while browsing Goodreads, ie by seeing what my friends & colleagues are reading, so much so that my "to-read" list is becoming daunting. The only con of Goodreads VS Bibliocommons is that if ever a title interests me, I need to double-check if we have it in our catalogue (due to mountain of books currently residing in my home, I rarely buy books nowadays).

Are you on Goodreads? Add me :)

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting you can import books from Amazon into lists in BiblioCommons, but it doesn't really connect with Goodreads (owned by Amazon). Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd LOVE it if the two became connected one day...they're meant to be besties, that's obvious.

      Delete